Friday, April 29, 2011

Gingerbread gets Google voice and video chat!

The Google Mobile team just announced the release of Google Talk with video chat (originally added for the Honeycomb release) in Gingerbread 2.3.4. Like other communication services, video chat benefits from network effects, and adding millions of additional video chat endpoints will be a nice boost to the Google Talk network.

I've been using this on my Nexus S, and it's quite nice. The software uses the same libjingle-based stack as Google voice and video, and the front-facing camera on the Nexus S really works well.

3 comments:

Jack-o-Lantern said...

Would be nice to add a couple features....

1) enable the app within other handset like Nexus One.
Necus One doesn't provide a front facing camera, but would be nice to be able to have at least audio option. Like on PC when one of the two doesn't have a webcam
2) Ability to select between video call and audio call only. Basically ability to use the phone like a VOIP phone within gtalk.
3) Ability to switch from external speaker (hands free or not).

with that, it would be perfect.

juberti said...

Nexus One should get this functionality once the 2.3.4 OS update rolls out to those devices.

Regarding audio vs video call, you can start an audio call by hitting Menu -> More -> Voice chat.

Speakerphone would definitely be a nice addition, I'll have to check on the plans for that.

Unknown said...

Greetings Justin,
I came accross http://technotrails.blogspot.gr/2011/01/google-voice-and-case-of-missing.html and I believe I have similar issues. Basically google voice doesn't forward call to gtalk on android. Please help me or tell me who I should email. I can't find any other way to fix this.
Best regards,
John